Saturday, December 11, 2010

I Need to Be here

It has been said on countless occasions that there is a need to being here when it comes to our worship. I have heard many a sermons that have talked about attendance. I have read many articles about attendance. I have heard about debate over the need for attendance. As much as we talk about attendance, we can still see a problem. That is, people are still not coming! It has been stressed to the point that there is a need for members to be here. Then again, still people do not come as often as they should.


We all make commitments. We make commitments in our marriage to make it last through thick and thin. We make a commitment to our job. An employer will not tolerate a person not coming in for work when they are supposed to. We also have commitments to God in fulfilling our worship service and also in living a righteous life. Even just, members coming to service it seems that we have to almost pull many kicking and screaming at times. It seems like the case is becoming more and more consistent in the view of the church today. It has been an ongoing battle but it seems now the battle has become extremely great in all local churches.

I have heard many people call or email me since I have been preaching. Really, I have heard it since my childhood since my dad was the preacher. There were times where I would take the call and here what is going on. They are sick, working, tired, etc. One thing that greatly concerns me over time is that many will say that they are sick and then they are out shopping the same day or the next day they are at work and at full strength. Many have said these several things. Some are true and sadly, some are not. Many times though sadly many just do not care and again they push God off to the side. It is sad but true and we have to be watchful of such things.

As we search throughout the Bible about this subject, there are verses that point the need for attendance. One that I know comes to mind for many is in Hebrews 10:24-25. The secondary part of this verse is talking about the attendance part. However, the purpose behind it is to stir up good works in one another. In wanting others to come to worship with us, we do it to give an understanding that this is what God expects. We are here to worship God. We seem to mix up our priorities in this life and God gets pushed aside primarily.

This is where our mistake lies! It shows that the care for God is not as important as it should be. When we neglect our duties and responsibilities, we endanger ourselves with our souls being in jeopardy.

Where has the gladness went when it comes to our worship to God (Psalms 122:1)? It seems more and more that assembling and worshipping is a chore. People just do not want to go but then come up with an excuse and believe in the lie many times. When one is not coming to worship because of just pure neglect I respect it (even though it still is not right) when one says that they just do not feel like coming. At least they are telling the truth. We can work from there to try to build up and exhort one another.

When we look at this subject we need to ask “Am I doing everything I possibly can to glorify God?” “Am I fulfilling my responsibility to the lord without having a grudgingly type attitude?” “Do I desire to obey God and His will?” “Do I desire a home in heaven?” “Do I see and understand that I have responsibilities and I must put my best foot forward to keeping hold of it?” These are questions we must remind ourselves constantly about. We can know more about God in understanding our responsibility in this life!

We all have responsibilities in this life. They may not seem great at times but our attendance is needed to fulfill part of it. We must ask ourselves “How can I be encouraged?” Or, “How can I encourage others?” We need to ask ourselves that and see that if we are not here it is almost impossible to do! We must take advantage of this great opportunity of worshipping and assembling together to worship God with our fellow brethren. It makes us stronger when we do such things (Ephesians 4:16).

Are we doing our best always and being here as often as we can fulfilling part of our responsibilities to God?



Daniel Sanders

No comments: