Monday, October 6, 2008

Is My Name Written There

Is My Name Written There?
Luke 10:17-20
Introduction:
A. There is a record kept in Heaven of those who belong to God.
a. Those as we understand that are obedient, faithful, doing everything in the name of the Lord. (Col. 3:17)
B. We have a song that poses the same question.
C. I am thankful for many reasons of not being able to say whether one has their name there or not.
a. Not having to play God.
b. All that I can say is that from what I have seen in my live so and so was faithful to God and obedient.
c. Then on the other hand I can say “well it is in God’s hands”
D. What I do understand is that those who follow the word and obey and are faithful are ones who will be able to enter.
a. There name is written there.
E. As we encounter many in life entertain themselves that there name is written there based on incoherent reasons.
a. They may think that well it doesn’t matter what I do I will be accepted.
b. Or I have suffered enough in my life and now I will be saved.
F. What does the Bible say on these matters?
G. So let’s open our Bibles and study on this matter.
I. Why some think their names are written?
A. Based on morality alone
a. Well I have been a good person.
i. I didn’t cheat, steal, or lie
ii. I was a good spouse, friend parent, child, brother or sister, co-worker
b. Morality is important
i. We must have good morals in order to have our name written there
c. But one still needs salvation
i. Look at Cornelius
ii. Devout man who gave alms (Acts 10:2)
iii. Still needed to be baptized for remission of sins to be able to have his name written there (Acts 10:3-8; 47-48)
B. Some think it is based on doctrines of men
a. This is described as vain (Matt 15:7-9)
b. Of no effect (Col. 2:20-22)
i. Can only be a doctrine of God (Acts 5:33-39)
C. Based on conscience (Acts 23:1)
a. Many think well he had the right thought attitude is okay
b. As long as we seem good in our mind it is okay
D. Based on sincerity (Matt 7:21-23)
a. We have done many great things and everything isn’t that worthy enough?
b. It doesn’t matter whether or not I am obedient to doing the will as long as I am doing things for God it’s okay attitude
i. Well I have opened up schools for the Church Kitchens for the Church and Libraries for the Church
ii. They are all great things but did we obey?
1. Are we doing the will of God instead of all these nice things that we may think are necessary
E. Based on deception
a. Salvation by faith only
i. Well as long as I do believe that Jesus is the Son of God I will have my name written there
b. Infant baptism
i. How many times have we run into this one?
ii. Well if an infant isn’t baptized they can’t have their name written there
1. Problem?
2. Well I will do it all for them. (Ezekiel 18:20)
3. Confession come from one’s own mouth
c. Inherited salvation
i. Well there are only select few who get this and they have already been selected.
ii. Predestination
iii. I already know because everyone has already been selected
II. Reasons to have name written
A. In order for us to have the hope of eternal salvation our name must be written there (Rev 21:27)
a. We must not have sin in our lives
i. Leads to Death (Rom. 6:23)
ii. Spiritual death (James 1:15)
b. Sin causes separation from God
i. Abhor it (hate it) (Rom 12:9)
B. The only alternative to having our name there is the lake of fire (Rev 20:11-15)
a. Eternal punishment, darkness, weeping and gnashing of teeth.
b. Discomfort, pain, sorrow, water to cool the tongue from the tormented flame
C. Which would we rather be?
III. Requirements to have name written
A. The Lord knows who are Hs (II Tim 2:19)
a. It’s who are found doing his will
b. He knows all intents of the heart whether good or bad
B. His seal is on them (II Cor. 1:21-22)
C. They are His own special people (I Peter 2:9)
a. Not predestined
b. Not by faith only but doers of the word also
c. Not following traditions of men
d. Not based on good moral and conscience people
e. But to those who follow and heed His words (hence the Bible, not doctrines of men)
D. Called out of Darkness (II Thess. 2:14)
E. Obedience to the gospel is necessary (II Thess. 1:8)
a. If obedience is not there then there is no hope of eternal salvation.
b. Instead it is eternal condemnation
F. Live faithfully (Rev 3:4-5)
a. To overcome sin and walk in newness of life.
Conclusion:
A. Those whose names are written in heaven are those who are saved.
B. Is your name written there? (Mark 16:16)
C. Invitation
I am indebted to my Dad (Terry Sanders) on this lesson he has been a big part in my life in developing me into the person who I am today. In teaching in being an example and most of all a Christian. I just want to say thank you.

No comments: